Privacy and Access
What information does CCIA collect about me?
- CCIA only collects personal information that is essential to providing you with Administrator services and ensuring that you are meeting your reporting requirements under the Health of Animals Regulation
- You can make a request for that information using this form CCIA Access Request Form
What personal information is recorded in the Canadian Livestock Tracking System (CLTS)?
- The CLTS has your name, address and telephone number, which is collected either when you set up your CLTS account or when you purchased approved indicators for your animals;
- The CLTS also has a record of your indicator inventory which includes the date you purchased approved indicators, the unique identification numbers on the indicators and how many were purchased
What if my personal information is incorrect?
- If your information is incorrect, please fill out the CANADIAN LIVESTOCK TRACKING SYSTEM ACCOUNT CHANGES FORM and we will update your account information.
What does CCIA share about me to other people/account holders/agencies?
- CCIA only shares information with third parties that you have consented to share your information with, or CFIA and provincial governments that have authority to view regulated information collected under the Health of Animals Regulation
What if I want to know information about an animal identification number/indicator?
- If that identification number is a part of your inventory, you can access that information directly in the CLTS or we can provide that information to you directly.
- If that identification number is not in your inventory, you are not authorized to receive that information.
What should I do if I find a stray animal with or without a CCIA Approved Indicator/Tag?
- If you find an animal WITH an indicator and are able to read the animal identification number, either visually or using an electronic reader, please contact the CCIA Client Support Desk at 1-877-909-2333 and CCIA can attempt to contact the last identified source account holder. CCIA cannot share that information with you, but can facilitate the process by directly contacting other account holders. Where CCIA is unable to identify who the last custodian of the animal was, you may be directed to contact your local RCMP or livestock investigation agency.
IF you find an animal WITHOUT an indicator, please contact your local RCMP or livestock investigation agency and they will be able to assist you
Livestock Investigation Services (LIS)
Toll free 1-866-509-2088
Livestock Services of Saskatchewan (LSS)
How do I access third party account information?
- Canadian Cattle Identification Agency (CCIA) is not able to disclose Canadian Livestock Tracking System (CLTS) regulated data or account information for any third party (ie. Not the requesters account) without a directive from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Access To Information and Privacy (ATIP) Office. You are welcome to make a formal request through the CFIA ATIP office (contact information is set out below). Once you submit your request to the CFIA ATIP office, if you are from a qualified organization, they will request the information from CCIA and will review it themselves prior to providing you that information. This process takes approximately 2-3 business days.
To make an online request, please go to Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat – Access to information request
You can make a request by mail by submitting a request form that you can find here Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat – Access to information request form
Send the form by mail to:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
1400 Merivale Road, TOWER 1
Floor 6, Room 258
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0Y9
ATIP Online Request
Access Request Form
Guidelines for Responding to Access to Information Requests
Privacy Breach Report Form